Place me like a seal over your heart, like a seal on your arm;
for love is as strong as death, its jealousy unyielding as the grave.
It burns like blazing fire, like a mighty flame.
Song of Songs, Chapter 8
Premarital counseling is a lot of fun.
Couples entering premarital counseling are full of hope, optimism and excitement for their new life together. It’s a thrilling time of life for the couple, and the premarital counseling sessions use that positive energy to launch the marriage in the right direction.
A healthy marriage is like sailing. When starting the journey, you set your course in the direction you want to go. The sport of sailing involves making continual, small adjustments to ensure that you are staying on course.
Premarital counseling is the work of pointing the boat in the right direction.
My approach is to charge a flat fee of $300 for a 5 session package. This includes:
- A premarital assessment using the highly researched and correlated Prepare / Enrich program. This is to be completed before our first session.
- Session 1: Understand the history of the relationship and review the results of the Prepare / Enrich assessment.
- Session 2: Meet with each individual for ½ hour to further the assessment.
- Sessions 3 – 5: Go into greater depth on topics that arise from the assessment. We will also discuss general topics that are foundational to building a healthy, intimate marriage, including:
- Building a marital friendship
- Effective conflict regulation
- Developing a healthy sex life
- Working with money
- Relating to in-laws and extended families
- Expectations around children and parenting
- Co-creating meaningful family rituals
If the couple wishes, additional sessions may be purchased at a discounted rate. But typically 5 sessions is enough to ensure the couple launches well on the exciting journey of marriage.